Not only is zucchini tasty and versatile vegetable, it’s also one of the long-standing favorites among healthy-eating crowds. Well deservedly so, too. Even convinced carnivores appreciate its taste, texture and the way it yields itself to all kinds of add-ons and toppings.
Most of the zucchini-based dishes are fairly simple to cook. This one is no exception. Judge for yourself.
You’ll need 2 zucchinis for 2 people if it’s a side dish or for 4 if it’s an appetizer. 1 Tbsp olive oil and ¼ to ½ cup of shredded cheese, depending on how much you love cheese topping. My preferred choice of herbs and spices: dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley, fresh rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper per taste.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut zucchinis lengthwise in quarters. Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and spices.
Chop the rosemary and cover the whole thing with shredded cheese.
Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
Finish off by broiling for 2-3 minutes to crisp the cheese to golden-brown. Done.
- Parmesan instead of shredded cheese (Damndelicious recipe)
- Crumbled bacon as an additional topping
- Sour cream as an additional topping – to preserve nice contrast of a cool topping and hot zucchini, plop a cream one dollop at a time
Baked Cheese Topped Zucchini
Time: prep 5 min, cook 20 min Servings: 2 to 4 Download PDF
- Zucchini – 2
- Shredded cheese – ¼ to ½ cup
- Olive oil – 1 Tbsp
- Dried oregano – ½ tsp
- Dried basil – ½ tsp
- Dried parsley – ½ tsp
- Fresh rosemary – 1 tsp
- Salt, garlic powder, and pepper – per taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Quarter zucchinis lengthwise and place them on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and spices.
- Chop the rosemary over the zucchinis.
- Spread shredded cheese over the zucchinis.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Finish off by broiling for 2-3 minutes to crisp the cheese to golden-brown.